We were out on one of our walks this week when we saw the cheeky, little sprite pictured below. I took this picture and poked around online a bit to try and figure out the species but without any luck. I asked around and one of my sources told me it is a Southern Alligator Lizard and is very common in the Santa Cruz area.*
Sun, February 20th
Rest day. I could have worked out but I didn’t want to risk being sore (especially my legs) for class on Monday.
Calories: 2000, Protein: 160 g.
Mon, February 21st
- Did some static and dynamic stretching for 30 minutes.
- Attended a two hour pro wrestling class.
Calories: 1716, Protein: 150 g.
Tues, Feb 22nd
- I followed along to Jack Lalane Season 1, Episode 5. I worked with the indian clubs during the parts of the episode when Jack was talking to the audience, and also put in about 10 minutes further with the 1 lb. indian clubs. For all of the weight work I kept moving between sets by doing dynamic stretches or just light movement.
- DB Incline Press: 25 lbs. x 12 reps, 30 lbs. x 4 sets x 10 reps, 35 lbs. x 7 reps
- (Tri Set) Light Spring Bar (Pronated/Supinated): (6/6) reps x 4 sets +
- Tricep Pushdowns (straight handle): 40 lbs. x 10 x 12 reps, 45 lbs. x 9 x 8 reps
- Fitness Bag Cleans: 4 sets x 8 reps
- (Super Set) Heavy Spring Bar** (Pronated/Supinated): (4/3) reps x 2 sets, Lateral Raises 10 lbs. x 12 reps, Russian KB One-Handed Swings (2-ct): 15 reps +
- BB Military Press: 44 lbs. x 4 sets x 8 reps
Calories: 2000, Protein: 151 g.
Since I was in Southern Alligator Lizard mode, I poked around on my phone and found an old picture I took in the summer of 2020, again at the state park near where I live, of what looks like another very similar but slightly different lizard sunning itself on a fallen tree.
Wed, Feb 23rd
- Morning Recumbent Bike: 30 Minutes, Hill Program, Level 6, RPMs: 80+
- Afternoon Walk: 3.5 miles.
Calories: 2155, Protein: 147 g.
So I saw these things at the gas station we often go to when we want a cheap, touchless car wash. It also doubles as a small grocery store. I learned that this is a “fingered citron,” which is more commonly known in many countries as a Buddha’s Hand fruit.
My first thought was a better name might be Cthulhu’s Face.
I bought one and tried to eat it like you would any other fruit, but that didn’t go too well. I quickly learned that the thing is mostly peel and is usually used as a zest or garnish like a lemon.
I did a little reading and learned that people often put these in a room because they will give off a pleasing odor that can freshen a space for up to a couple of weeks. I think that I might buy another Cthulhu’s Face, if they turn up again, and try putting one in the dining room and seeing how it goes. Seems like it might be a pleasant and natural, occasional alternative to those plug-in air fresheners my husband likes to collect.
Thur, Feb 24th
- I stretched for 20 minutes in the morning.
- Afternoon Workout: I warmed up with dynamic stretching and some indian club work. With this workout there was no rest at all. I went from exercise to exercise and from set to set as quickly as I safely could.
- (Tri Set) Standing Rows (hog bar): 60 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- CoC Grippers (Guide 60 lbs.) x 3 sets x 12 reps, (Sport 80 lbs.) x 8 reps (partials with left hand)
- Low Toe Taps x 4 sets x 30 seconds
- (Tri Set) Pulldowns (hog bar): 60 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- CoC Grippers (Sport, 80 lbs.) x 2 sets x 8 reps (partials with left hand), (Trainer, 100 lbs.) x 2 sets x 5 reps (partials)
- Low Toe Taps x 4 sets x 30 seconds
- (Tri Set) DB Bicep Curls: 12 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- Front Kick Stretch (each leg) x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Laterally Step Over Kettlebell x 4 sets x 30 seconds
- (Tri Set) BB Seated Wrist Curls: 44 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- Standing Calf Raises x 4 sets x 12 reps (two sets with straight legs, two sets with legs bent)
- Arm Pumping for 30 seconds x 4 sets (Did it like Jack Lalane was doing in this video.)
- (Tri Set) DB Reverse Wrist Curls: 8 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- DB Hammer Curls: 12 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Supine Leg Windmills: 4 sets x 30 revolutions
- Evening Walk: 3 miles.
Calories: 2004, Protein: 186 g.
Fri, Feb 25th
- Morning Recumbent Bike: 30 Minutes, Hill Program, Level 6, RPMs: 80+. Stretched for 15 minutes afterwards.
- In the afternoon I worked with the 1 lb. indian clubs for 15 minutes and then stretched for 15 minutes.
Calories: 2000, Protein: 163 g.
Sat, Feb 26th
I put in a lot of physical labor helping with set up and tear down at a pro wrestling show. I also worked as security for the event.
Calories: 2130, Protein: 147 g.
I lost 2.25 lbs. this week. My total loss is 5.25 lbs. over two weeks.
* I thought the animal might be some kind of skink because of the head shape but my more knowledgeable source informs me that this is incorrect.
** I remember digging out the heavy spring bar almost a year-and-a-half ago now and I couldn’t even bend it for one full rep. That big, old thing is still no joke but I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made with it, especially since I haven’t prioritized or systematized working with it in a meaningful way.