I’ve walked or run by this display of a cross section from a redwood probably hundreds of times since I’ve lived near Henry Cowell Park. It is a pretty popular spot for people to take pictures. The first time I saw the display I have to confess I frowned a little because I thought it was a cross section from a tree that had been cut down.
While I understand the need for paper and wood products, I figure they can be produced without hacking down a tree that has been minding its own business for 2200 years.* Fortunately, once I looked more closely I saw that the tree fell (wasn’t cut) in 1934. (This was confirmed by the rangers I talked to in the information area.) So that gave me a warmer feeling about this display.
Sun, February 28th
(Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Eleven) Tricep Pushdowns (rest-pause as needed): 50 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
Calories: 2334, Protein: 160 g.
Mon, March 1st
- Morning Walk: 1.81 miles.
- I warmed up with some dynamic stretching and indian club work. Then I did the MV Steel Mace Workout.
- I reviewed the “Stances” lesson and then followed along with “White Belt – Class 5” (solo drills) on the Global Martial Arts University website.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Twelve) DB Cheat Curls with 4 second eccentrics: 25 lbs. x 4 sets x 8 reps. (The program calls for a barbell but I don’t have one yet so I used dumbbells.)
Calories: 2177, Protein: 150 g.
Tues, March 2nd
- Warmed up with some dynamic stretching and indian club work.
- Arnold Press: 30 lbs. x 10 reps, 3 sets x 8 reps
- DB Bench Press: 35 lbs. x 12 reps, 40 lbs. x 3 sets x 8 reps
- DB Lateral Raises: 15 lbs. x 4 sets x 8 reps
- Spring Bar: Heavy x 2 sets x 8 reps, Light (over head) x 12, 10 reps
- Alternating sets with hands supinated and pronated.
- EXERCISE COMPLEX: Face Pulls 12.5 lbs. x 20 reps, Incline Push Ups 3rd step x 10 reps + 4th step x 10 reps, [2 SETS: Hindu Push Up Stretches x 10 reps, TaeKwondo White Belt Solo Drill #2 x 10 times**], Knee Hover (2 seconds) x 20 reps, Bell Tower Crunches (each side) 25 lbs. x 20 reps, KB Alternating One Handed Russian Swings 15 lbs. x 20 reps
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Thirteen) PJR Pullovers with 4 second eccentrics: 35 lbs. x 4 sets x 8 reps
- Ended the workout by picking up my 100 lb. sand bag from a 16 inch platform and walking 30 steps with it and then doing some more indian club work.
Calories: 2408, Protein: 183 g.
Here is a close up of some of the little markers denoting where the tree was in its growth during certain historical events. Apparently the tree predates the historical date of the birth of Jesus by a couple of hundred years or so.
Wed, March 3rd
- Morning Walk: 4.07 miles.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Fourteen) Rest Day.
Calories: 2167, Protein: 154 g.
Thur, March 4th
- Morning Walk: 3.51 miles.
- Captains of Crush Gripper (Trainer, 100 lbs.):
- (Set 1): Left = 8 mm x 6 reps, Right = Closed x 2 reps + 2mm x 5 reps
- (Set 2): Left = 6 mm x 4 reps, Right = 2mm x 7 reps
- (Set 3): Left = 8 mm x 6 reps, Right = 2mm x 6 reps
- (Set 4): Left = 6 mm x 5 reps, Right = 2mm x 6 reps
- (Set 5): Left = 4 mm x 2 + 3 reps, Right = Closed 0 + 5 reps
- (Set 6): Dynamic Training with the Sport (80 lbs.) gripper. I did 20 reps with each hand. I closed the gripper 15 times with my right but couldn’t close it completely with my left after 10 reps. I ended with some finger extension work and some thumb training using the gripping egg.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Fifteen) DB Incline Waiter Curls with six pulses each rep: 30 lbs. x 4 sets x 9 reps
- I did an afternoon jog-walk for 7.15 miles. I stayed mostly on pavement and there were substantial hills. Total mileage for the day was 10.66 miles (17.13 km).
Calories: 3286, Protein: 151 g.
Fri, March 5th
- Morning Walk: 3 miles.
- I did some indian club and steel mace work. I also worked on a couple of mace exercises I’ve never done before. The first was the Half Kneeling 360’s, which were pretty easy since they were the 360’s I’ve been doing just from one knee. I like these because I have to go outside when doing standing 360’s so as to avoid hitting the basement rafters. The other exercise was the Swing and Catch, which was a little trickier.***
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Sixteen) Bench Dips with 6 pulses each rep: 4 sets to failure. (I forgot to write down how many reps I did.)
- I worked on some Taekwondo high and low blocks from a ready stance.
Calories: 2048, Protein: 159 g.
Sat, March 6th
- I followed along with Jenny Ford’s “Beginner Step Aerobics Fitness Cardio” video for 30 minutes.
- I practiced the Swing and Catch exercise with my 5 lb. steel mace.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Seventeen) Alternating Cross Body Hammer Curls (rest-pause as needed): 25 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Dead Bugs (2-ct): 43 reps
- Stretched and did some foam rolling, etc. in the evening for about 35 minutes.
Calories: 2410, Protein: 150 g. (I lost 1 pound this week, so my total loss is 28.2 lbs.)
* I figure once you make it to that age you deserve some special consideration. 🙂
** White Belt Solo Drill #2 is two low blocks, two high blocks, and two front kicks from a ready stance. You alternate arms and legs so if you do the first low block with your left then you do the other moves starting with the left as well. For the first set I started with the left and the second I started with the right.
*** For anyone thinking of doing the Swing & Catch, I think Vaughn’s advice about doing the swing off to the side and avoiding swinging the mace up toward your face is probably good. As he says, you probably don’t want to have to make an emergency visit to the dentist. (Or the plastic surgeon.)