On Saturday this week, I made the trip to the Mission District in San Francisco, California and helped with doing some promotional work for a wrestling show coming to the area in early April. I didn’t have time to take too many pictures since I was there working but I was able to snatch a moment here and there to take a few. Below is a picture of 24th Street, where the three-person team I was part of did most of our work.*
Sun, March 13th
Rest day. I stretched for about a half-hour. Calories: ~1990, Protein ~122 g.
Mon, March 14th
(Morning Workout) Recumbent Bike: 30 Minutes, Hill Program, Level 9, RPMs: 80+. Stretched a little afterward.
Calories: 1919, Protein: 143 g.
Tues, March 15th
- Stretched for 30 minutes, shortly after waking up. Meanwhile, my husband blasted about our basement gym slinging around heavy weights and rocking out to the Dead Kennedys, lol.
- (Afternoon Workout) I warmed up with 1 lb. indian clubs and some dynamic stretching.
- (Super Set) Military Press (strict): 47 lbs. x 5 sets x 12 reps +
- Ironmind Hub Lift (left/right): 17.5 lbs. x (10/10 sec), (5/10 sec), (6/10 sec x 2 sets), (7/9 sec)
- DB Incline Press: 25 lbs. x 12 reps, 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps, 35 lbs. x 8 reps
- (Tri Set) Tricep Pushdown (straight bar): 45 lbs. x 9, 10, 10, 10 reps +
- Light Spring Bar (Supinated/Pronated Grips): (6/6) x 4 sets
- (Set #1) Lateral Walking with Band Around Knees: 16 steps each direction, (Set #2) Face Pulls: 15 lbs. x 15 reps, (Set #3) Glute Raises x 20 reps, (Set #4) Coc Gripper (Sport, 80 lbs., left/right) x 13/20 reps
- (Tri Set) (Sets #1-2) Dead Bugs (2-ct): 25 reps, (Set #3) Supine Leg Revolutions (each direction): 50 reps, (Set #4) Standing Side Crunches (each side): 15 reps +
- Heavy Spring Bar (alternating sets of pronated and supinated grip): 4 sets x 8 reps
- Lateral Raises: 12 lbs. x 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- I did the first seven minutes of “Back/Shoulder Flexibility for Beginners” by Dylan Werner where one works standing. I also worked a little on Chair Pose, using a demo from the same instructor, then did some of the stretches from a binder of material I’ve collected over the last couple of years from our chiropractor.
- I went to wrestling class in the evening.
Calories: 1899, Protein: 137 g.
There is a fair amount of urban art on 24th Street and I could have spent a lot of time taking pictures if I had more time. I did have time to take a picture of this mural while we had to wait around for a few minutes.
I was able to zoom in a bit and take another picture before we moved on. Pretty impressive stuff. I was glad to see that no one has tagged or defaced it in any way as I’ve seen so often with street art of this type in other places, including other parts of San Francisco in the past.
Wed, March 16th
- We woke up and followed along with Jack Lalane, DVD 2, Episode 1.
- Afterward, I did a little stretching and Lateral Walking with Band Around Knees: 20 steps in each direction.
- Finished with the following two exercises from the Athlean-X “Glute Activation” video:
- Lying Toe Stab Hip Raises (each side): 10 reps
- Lying Toe Up Hip Raises (each side): 10 reps
- We went for an afternoon walk in the woods. It took about 30 minutes.
Calories: 2000, Protein: 150 g.
One thing I noticed walking down 24th Street was that there were lots of lovely places to eat either sitting down or on the go. If I wasn’t in The Zone because I’m on a quest to get into great shape again, I would have probably stuffed myself!
Thur, March 117th
- We followed along with Jack Lalane, DVD 1, Episode 3 shortly after waking up. I stretched for 30 minutes later in the day.
(Afternoon Test) CoC Gripper (Trainer, 100 lbs.) Test: (Left Hand) 4mm x 4 sets x 5 reps, 4mm x 6 reps | (Right Hand) 2mm x 4 sets x 5 reps, [Close x 2 reps + 2mm x 8 reps] Then I did one set of 5 partial reps with each hand, using the Ironmind 0.5 Gripper, which is 120 lbs.
I decided to test myself to see if I could still close the Trainer gripper to 4mm for 4 sets of 5 reps with my (weaker) left hand, which was a goal I originally achieved back in late April 2021.** (The Coc Gripper Key is very useful for measuring this.) I was pleased to see that I still can and updated my goal page accordingly. I’m going to do some intentional gripper work to see if I can get to 2mm with my left hand in a couple of months, which was a goal I set back in April 2021 when I first achieved the 4mm closure.
- Afternoon Circuit Workout: I warmed up for this by dancing around to music in-between sets during my gripper test.*** One of the benefits of having a home gym is that you can do crazy dance moves without an audience other than the spiders and other fauna. I also used my 1 lb. indian clubs for warming up too. I moved from exercise to exercise and set to set with minimal rest.
- (Tri Set) Standing Rows (hog bar): 60 lbs. x 12 reps, 70 lbs. x 12, 12, 14 reps +
- Alternating Sets of Front Kick Stretch and Side Kick Stretch (each leg): 4 sets x 12 reps
- Basic Step x 4 sets x 45 seconds.
- (Tri Set) Pulldowns (hog bar): 60 lbs. x 12 reps, 70 lbs. x 12 reps, [70 lbs. x 8 reps + 60 lbs. x 4 reps], [70 lbs. x 12 reps resting as needed**** +
- Seated DB Cleans: 10 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Corner to Corner Step x 4 sets x 45 seconds.
- (Tri Set) DB Bicep Curls: 20 lbs. x 12 reps, ([20 lbs. x 8 reps + 15 lbs. x 4 reps] x 3 sets) +
- Face Pulls: 15 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Straddle Step x 4 sets x 45 seconds.
- (Tri Set) BB Standing Wrist Curls: 75 x 4 sets x 12 reps +
- Alternating Sets of Reverse Hyperextensions x 12 reps and Supine Leg Windmills x 50 revolutions each direction
- Hamstring Curl Step x 4 sets x 45 seconds.
- (Tri Set) Alternating Sets of DB Reverse Wrist Curls: ([15 lbs. x 6 reps + 12 lbs. x 6 reps] x 2 sets) and DB Hammer Curls: 20 lbs. x 2sets x 12 reps +
- (Set #1)
- Kick Step x 4 sets x 45 seconds. For the last two sets the kick was a hard TKD snap kick leading with my insole.
- I did some stretching and yoga poses, and also did the “Restorative Hip Stretch” class with Naya Rappaport on Alomove.com, which was about 15 minutes long. I did a little more stretching in the evening as well.
Calories: 1912, Protein: 150 g.
There was one place (too bad it was closed when we walked by) that had some interesting displays in several of its windows. The team leader for the group I was in told me that the display in the center picture contains masks from some famous luchadores (wrestlers). He told me the names of a few. A couple I remember, who he mentioned, are El Santo or “The Saint” who wore the silver mask in the top right corner, and the black and gold mask on the bottom in the middle belongs to Tinieblas or “Darkness.”
Fri, March 18th
- (Afternoon Workout) I danced non-stop for 32 minutes following along as best as I could to “80s Dance Workout” by Zumba Sulu. I found the whole thing kind of amusing and a lot of my “dancing” was in fact somewhat unique and free form, but I had fun and it was a good workout and a nice change from pedaling the bike, which is fine but can get boring if I do it too often.*****
- I did “Morning Yoga for Beginners” by Patrick Beach on Alomoves.com. Between the class and the stretching I did afterward, that phase of things lasted about 35 minutes.
Calories: 2024, Protein: 135 g.
We went into a laundromat and I saw this rather odd piece of art on the wall. There were actually several different examples along the same lines but like I said in the beginning, we were there to work so I only had time to snap this one picture. I can see myself someday using this for inspiration for something. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind hanging something like this on my office wall. Sure doesn’t seem like the usual thing one sees in a laundromat, but to my thinking that is part of the charm I found during my little adventure on 24th Street.
Sat, March 19th
I stretched for about 45 minutes in the morning. I spent several hours walking around in the Mission District in San Francisco, CA in the afternoon without taking a break. Glad I didn’t do weights for my legs yesterday and kept it to dancing because my legs are definitely feeling it as I type this about an hour after getting back home from the city.
Calories: 2115, Protein: 111 g.
I lost 2.25 lbs. this week. My total loss is 9.25 lbs. over five weeks. My calorie intake for the week was 13,748.
* Other teams covered other streets in the area. The idea was to cover the area surrounding the high school where the show will take place in April.
** I like to do these tests from time to time because I think it is important not to just achieve various workout goals but to maintain them as well. I’ve been doing gripper work but haven’t intentionally been working on the above goals for a few months.
*** All of the fun I had dancing around got me to thinking I might want to start doing some online dance classes or maybe some Zumba at some point.
**** I found it better to simply rest a second or two between reps when it got too hard to continue rather than dropping the weight because the latter took too long and 60 lbs. has become too easy for what I’m trying to do. I think I need to buy a couple of five-pound plates I can slide into my weight stack so I can have 5 instead of 10 lb. intervals for my cables.
***** Actually it got bizarre and weird at points as if I were trying to summon up Great Cthulhu but that is the advantage of the privacy gained in working out in one’s basement with the poison-resistant spiders and armored scorpions. I often find the latter in the glue traps we set out in our basement and they look an awful lot like mini-Tyranids!