I ran across a cute video of an “itching station” someone built for a resident tortoise at a nature preserve in Oregon. That got me to thinking of a pond near where we often walk, which we’ve taken to calling by the very original name of “Turtle Pond” because of all the turtles. I dug around in my collection of pictures that I dump in an achive-junk folder and forget about and I found this 2016 shot of a bunch of turtles sitting on a tree, sunning themselves in Turtle Pond. I thought it was cute at the time, which isn’t surprising since I favor turtles and tortoises.*
Sun, February 14th
Had a nice Valentines Day and took a break. Hope everyone reading this, who celebrated the holiday did as well. Calories: 2442, Protein: 157 g.
Mon, February 15th
Afternoon Walk: 3.4 miles. Calories: 2626, Protein: 149 g.
Tues, February 16th
- Morning Walk: 3.57 miles.
- Captains of Crush Gripper (Trainer, 100 lbs.):
- (Set 1): Left = 8 mm x 5 reps, Right = Closed x 5 reps
- (Set 2): Left = 8 mm x 5 reps, Right = Closed x 2 reps + 4mm x 4 reps
- (Set 3): Left = 8 mm x 5 reps, Right = 4mm x 6 reps
- (Set 4): Left = 6 mm x 1 + 5 reps, Right = 4mm x 6 reps
- (Set 5): Dynamic Training with the Sport (80 lbs.) gripper. I did 20 reps with each hand. I closed the gripper all 20 times with my right but couldn’t close it completely with my left after 13 reps. I ended with some finger extension work and some thumb training using the gripping egg.
- (Afternoon Workout) I warmed up with the Daily Stretch and some indian club work. Then I followed the “White Belt – Class 3” (emphasis on punching techniques) on the Global Martial Arts University website. I ended the class with some self-directed work on high and low blocks.
- I did the beginner work outlined on the “Beginner Steel Mace Workout” video with my little five pound steel mace I found a second hand shop.
Calories: 1802, Protein: 143 g.
Wed, February 17th
- Morning Walk: 3.29 miles.
- I did the Wyatt today except I had to substitute incline push-ups on my stairs instead of regular ones. I used the 4th step but for the last set I used the 3rd step, which was a bit harder. My time was 44:53 for the workout. I was pleased because I thought the hindu squats would slow me down more than they did and I had guessed my time would have been closer to an hour. Still a lot of room for improvement. I’m hoping to eventually get my time down to about 30 minutes.
- Finished off the session with 10 Sit Ups (no anchor for feet), some Hindu Push Up Stretches and a bit of general stretching.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Zero) Measure your arms to establish a baseline for the next 22 days. Done!
Calories: 2062, Protein: 144 g.
I saw this arm video in my inbox and though it might be fun to give it a try. I used to train my arms for size until about 2010, but for many years now I’ve been content to hang out in maintenance mode. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out.**
Thur, February 18th
- Active Rest Day.
- Morning Walk: 3.35 miles.
- Warmed up and got a in little movement with some (mostly) dynamic stretching, indian club and mace work.
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day One) DB Incline Waiter Curls: 30 lbs. x 4 sets x 9 reps
- Reviewed the “Low Block” and “High Block” lessons from the Global Martial Arts University Taekwondo program.
Calories: 2071 Protein: 167 g.
Fri, February 19th
- Morning Walk: 3.35 miles.
- (Morning Workout) Warmed up and did some work with my indian clubs and mace, along with some dynamic stretching.
- Arnold Press: 30 lbs. x 8, 8, 6 reps, 25 lbs. x 9 reps
- (Super Set)
- DB Bench Press: 30 lbs. x 10, 10, 8, 8 reps
- DB Lateral Raises: 12 lbs. x 10, 8 reps, 10 lbs. x 10, 9 reps
- (Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Two) Bench Dips: 14, 12, 10, 9 reps
- Ended with a set of Face Pulls (12.5 lbs. x 20 reps) and 10 Hindu Push Up Stretches
Calories: 2144, Protein: 153 g.
Sat, February 20th
Hung out with my husband and watched some old Hammer movies, including Horror of Dracula and some others. I didn’t want to skip the arm program just a couple of days after starting it so I popped down cellar in the afternoon, warmed up with some dynamic stretching and indian club work then got in the required bit of arm work.
(Athlean-X Arm Program, Day Three) Alternating Cross Body Hammer Curls: 15 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
Calories: 2356, Protein: 149 g. (I lost 2.6 pounds this week, so my total loss is 26.8 lbs.)
* There aren’t many animals I don’t favor. I really can’t think of one I don’t excepting ones that (directly) try to bite/eat me or try to infest my house, etc. When I say “directly” I mean that I wouldn’t favor a particular white shark down in Santa Cruz if it tried to eat me but I do favor white sharks in general.
** I’m putting this together a bit late so as I type this I’m on day nine of the challenge. Thus far I’ve gained a quarter inch on my upper arms, which is both encouraging and a little surprising all things considered, such as my age, being in mild weight loss mode, which generally isn’t so great for hypertrophy, etc. I suspect after years of maintenance I’m getting a good response from the training because my arms are having to adapt to something new again and because I’m making gains into territory where I’ve been in the past, even if it was a long time ago. That’s my theory anyway.