I took an “active rest” from December 20th through January 3rd where I didn’t lift any weights but we did do a fair amount of hiking on the local trails. We got a little bit of a surprise out on one of our usual hikes, which made me smile, when we stumbled upon the Christmas Grove a few days before Christmas. Someone had spared no effort!
I’m making a couple of changes to my training with the start of the new year. First, after a few months of working in the 12 – 15 repetition range, I’m going to decrease that to 8 – 12 reps for many exercises and increase the set intensity a bit. I also decided to up my protein intake to about 150 grams per day. Finally, I’m going to pay a bit better attention to how much rest I take between sets, now that I’m aiming a bit more at muscle hypertrophy, and keep it in the 1 – 2 minute range rather than “just going when I feel ready,” though I’m still going to do that too.
Mon, January 4th
- Arnold Press: 20 lbs. x 15 reps, 25 lbs. x 3 sets x 10 reps
- DB Bench Press: 20 lbs. x 15 reps, 25 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
- DB Lateral Raises: 10 lbs. x 2 sets x 15 reps, 12 lbs. x 2 sets x 12 reps
- DB Front Raises: 10 lbs. x 12 reps, 3 sets x 13 reps
- (Super Set)
- Face Pulls: 12.5 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- DB Flies: 10 lbs. x 15 reps, 12 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
- (Super Set)
- DB Prone Rear Delt Row: 5 lbs. x 12 reps, 6 lbs. x 12, 15, 15 reps
- DB Hammer Curls: 20 lbs. x 12, 8, 8, 7 reps
- Tricep Pushdowns (tricep handle): 45 lbs. x 12, 10, 8, 8 reps
- (Super Set) One-Handed Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdowns (d-handle, ea. arm) 12.5 lbs. x 4 sets x 10 reps +
- (Set #1) Dead Bugs (2-ct): 20 reps
- (Set #2) Standing Side Crunches (each side): 12 reps
- (Set #3) DB American Swings: 20 lbs. x 15 reps
- (Set #4) Small Shoulder Circles (each way): 60 reps
Calories: 1969, Protein: 151 g.
The Christmas Grove is a place where several trails come together and in addition to regular trees is also home to many Messed Up Trees. Besides the stand of trees pictured above, the forest elves also decorated single trees dotted around the grove as well. I thought it was rather nice of the elves to include a tree with edible decorations.
I have to admit the peanut butter and popcorn pinecone was a little tempting, but I resisted with some gentle help from my husband. “You really aren’t going to eat that are you!?”* I relented ostensibly because while I love peanut butter I’m not going to eat that stuff that is loaded with hydrogenated fats and palm oil. I am a peanut butter connoisseur after all!
Anyway, between the carrots, cranberries, popcorn, persimmons and so on it was a veritable smorgasbord for the critters. I hope whoever cleaned off that pinecone enjoyed it!
Tues, January 5th
Afternoon Walk for 3.43 miles. Calories: 1984, Protein: 154 g.
Wed, January 6th
Morning Walk: 3.14 miles and an afternoon walk of 3.44 miles for a total of 6.58 miles for the day.
Deck of Cards Workout
|Suit||Number Card||Face Card|
|Hearts||Alternating Stationary Lunges + Front Kick Stretch (2-ct)||10 Goblet Full Squats (30 lb. DB)|
|Clubs||Dead Bugs (2-ct)||10 Cossack Squats (Four Point)|
|Diamonds||Standing Side Crunches (2-ct)||30 Squats|
|Spades||Single Leg Balance Jacks (2-ct)||10 Rom. Dead Lifts (10 lb. DB’s)|
|Aces||Black = 20 Full Squats||Red = 20 Hindu Squats|
|First Joker||10 Full + 10 Hindu + 10 Squats|
|Second Joker||30 Hip Raises + 50 Supine Leg Windmills (ea. way)|
Stretched for 30 Minutes after doing the deck of cards. Deck of Cards workout music: Ghost Ship album by Theocracy. Calories: 2021, Protein 159 g.
Thur, January 7th
Morning Walk: 3.48 miles. We went for another walk in the afternoon for 3.54 miles. Our total for the day was 7.08 miles. Calories: 1985, Protein: 159 g.
Fri, January 8th
Morning Walk: 3.51 miles, and a 3.25 mile afternoon walk for a total of 6.76 miles. Calories: 1846, Protein: 159 g.
Here is a semi-lonely little tree in another part of the grove. My friend, Daniel (of Imperial Guard fame) said, when he saw the picture on Facebook, that it made him “think of the classic Charlie Brown tree,” and I can see that. It is a little weedy, though I don’t think it has quite managed to achieve a Charlie Brown level of weediness. 🙂
The Charlie Brown tree still had its ornaments when we walked by in the afternoon today, but I did notice that some of others were returned to their natural state with nary a plastic holiday ornament to be found. I’m hoping that whoever put up the decorations finishes taking them down by the end of the month. If they linger into February I might pack out a bagful each time I go by. Hoping I won’t have to though.
Sat, January 9th
A bit of new notation today: The bang or exclamation point after a rep number means that while I completed the indicated reps, I’m not happy with my form at that weight, typically for the last rep or two.
Morning Walk: 2.22 miles.
Afternoon Work out | (Music: Disturbed play list.)
- Standing Cable Rows (straight bar): 70 lbs. x 13 reps, 75 lbs. x 3 sets x 9, 8, 8 reps
- DB Pull Overs on Bench: 30 lbs. x 4 sets x 10, 9, 9, 8 reps
- Pull Downs (d-handles): 60 lbs. x 8! reps, 55 lbs. x 3 sets x 12, 11, 12 reps, 60 lbs. x 8! reps
- DB Bicep Curls: 20 lbs. x 12 reps, (25 lbs. x 5 reps + 20 lbs. x 3 reps), (25 lbs. x 3 reps + 20 lbs. x 2 reps + 15 lbs. x 3 reps), 20 lbs. x 8 reps
- DB Shrugs: 30 lbs. x 15 reps, 35 lbs. x 15 reps, 40 lbs. x 15 reps, 45 lbs. x 13 reps
- Seated DB Cleans: 10 lbs. x 15 reps, 12 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
- Cable Crunches: 40 lbs. x 4 sets x 15 reps
- Exercise Complex
- Fitness Bag Pick Up and Shoulder: 8 reps
- Standing Side Crunches (2-ct): 25 reps
- Wrist Roller (cable): 15 lbs. x 1 winding and unwinding
- Internal and External Shoulder Rotation taking place anterior to frontal plane (orange band, both arms) x 15 reps**
- DB American Swings: 25 lbs. x 15 reps
- Heavy Spring Bar: 4 reps (P) + 4 reps (S)
- Internal and External Shoulder Rotation (black tubing, both arms): 15 reps
- Face Pulls: 15 lbs. x 15 reps
- Dead Bugs (2-ct): 20 reps
- Captains of Crush Gripper (Sport):
- (Set 1): Right = Closed x 10 reps, Left = Closed x 9 reps
- (Set 2): Right = Closed x 9 reps, Left = Closed x 5 reps + 4 reps
- (Set 3): Right = Closed x 8 reps, Left = Closed x 4 reps + 4 reps
- (Set 4): Right = Closed x 7 + 1 reps, Left = Closed x 4 reps + 4 reps
Calories: 2020, Protein: 154 g. (I was the same weight as the last time I weighed myself in mid-December, so my total loss remains at 18 lbs.)
* No I wasn’t, but I did have fun seeing the look on his face when he thought I was going to try a sample. I do love peanut butter after all!
** I’m going to have to poke around and see if I can find a proper name for this exercise.