Sun, November 29th
I made a planted-based meatloaf today using this recipe from Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen.* I made a double batch and went somewhat by the recipe, but with some differences:
- I used dried, minced onion because we were out of onion powder.
- I used Panko bread crumbs.
- I went half and half with Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce because we were almost out of the former.
- I mixed the ketchup into the loaf before cooking instead of putting it on top as the recipe suggested. Additionally, I brushed a tablespoon of barbeque sauce on top before cooking.
- I cooked the loaf in a Pyrex loaf pan instead of on a baking sheet.
We enjoyed the finished product and I also liked how easy it was to make. (Meatloaf in general is a pretty easy recipe.) I used Impossible Burger meat this time. The next time I might try Beyond Beef, which we highly favor for taco night. The only possible negative I noticed this time was that it had a somewhat compacted texture. This did make it easy to slice and would make for good sandwiches.
Mon, November 30th
Morning Walk: 3.30 miles. Calories: 2054, Protein: 135 g.
Tues, December 1st
Morning Walk: 3.10 miles.
I didn’t like how my left index finger felt today when I was doing some warm-up sets with the hand grippers, so I decided to give the Captains of Crush a miss today. One thing I’ve learned over the years is not to “work through” small things like this.
Deck of Cards Workout
|Suit||Number Card||Face Card|
|Hearts||Walking Lunges + Front Kick Stretch (2-ct)||10 Hindu Squats|
|Clubs||Stair Incline Push-ups||10 Cossack Squats (Partials)|
|Diamonds||Bent Over FB Rows + Side Kick Stretch (2-ct)||10 FB Shovels (2-ct)|
|Spades||Even: Leg Raises|
Odd: Standing Side Crunches (2-ct)
|10 FB Rom. Dead Lifts|
|Aces (any suit)/Jokers||20 Full Squats|
I found a pair of exercise handles at the thrift store the other day and used them for the first time today for push ups.** I won’t use them all the time, but I like having them and the price was certainly right. I used them to do push-ups with my hands in a neutral position, where the palms are facing each other.
These also might be useful for my husband, because he is prone to having wrist problems when he does push ups in the usual way with his hands flat on the floor.
Calories: 2115, Protein: 134 g.
Wed, December 2nd
Morning Walk: 3.28 miles. Calories: 2223, Protein: 113 g.
Thur, December 3rd
Morning Walk: 3.16 miles.
Captains of Crush Gripper (T):
- (Set 1): Right = 6mm x 5 reps, Left = 12mm x 5 reps
- (Set 2): Right = 4mm x 3 + 2 reps, Left = 12mm x 5 reps
- (Set 3): Right = 6mm x 5 reps, Left = 10mm x 3 + 2 reps
- (Set 4): Right = 6mm x 5 reps, Left = 10mm x 5 reps
- (Set 5): Right = 6mm x 5 reps, Left = 10mm x 5 reps
- Arnold Press: 20 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- DB Bench Press: 20 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps, 25 lbs. x 12 reps
- I did this today instead of incline push-up’s I’ve been doing lately. The cellar stairs were unavailable because of an on-going home improvement project.
- Light Spring Bar (over head): 8-P, 5-S, 8-P, 5-S
- P = pronated, S = supinated. Doing this with the bar over my head instead of at around chest level makes the exercise a lot harder.
- Super Set
- DB Flies: 10 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Tricep Pushdowns (tricep handle): 40 lbs. x 15 reps, 45 lbs. x 3 sets x 10 reps
- (Super Set) One-Handed Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdowns (d-handle, ea. arm) 10 lbs. x 15 reps, 12.5 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps +
- (Set #1) Dead Bugs (2-ct): 20 reps
- (Set #2) Standing Side Crunches (each side): 20 reps
- (Set #3) Small Shoulder Circles (each way): 50 reps
- (Set #4) DB Front Raises 10 lbs. x 15 reps
- (Exercise Complex) Wrist Pronation and Supination (light wood axe) 12 reps, DB Hammer Curls 15 lbs. x 15 reps, DB Lateral Raises 12 lbs. x 12 reps, DB Shrugs 30 lbs. x 12 reps, Alternating One-Handed KB American Swings (2-ct) 15 lbs. x 15 reps, Full Squats 20 reps, Calf Raises 30 reps, Spread and Raise Hands (light orange band) x 25 reps, External Shoulder Rotation (black band, ea. arm) x 12 reps
I found this little sprite lurking on the resistance tubes that I often use as part of my warm up. So I did what anyone would do and asked if I could work in for a few sets and then did my thing. All went well until I noticed the spider crawling on my arm when I was in the middle of doing some light external shoulder rotation work. Had a little laugh and relocated the beastie someplace better for all concerned. Silly sprite!
My little friend, as far as I can tell is some sort of “grass spider” or funnel web spider of the genus Agelenopsis. It looks a bit like a hobo spider, but the markings as well as the shape of the thorax and abdomen seem off for one of those. I’m not a spider expert though by any means.
Calories: 2303, Protein: 114 g.
Fri, December 4th
- Morning Walk: 3.09 miles.
- Standing Cable Rows (straight bar): 65 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Straight Arm Pull Downs (purple band): 4 sets x 12 reps
- Super Set
- Fitness Bag Bicep Curls: 4 sets x 12 reps
- Face Pulls: 10 lbs. x 4 sets x 12 reps
- Exercise Complex: Wrist Roller (cable) 15 lbs. x 1 winding, Bell Tower Crunches (ea. side) 17.5 lbs. x 12 reps, Fitness Bag Cleans x 12 reps, Side Kick Stretch (ea. leg) x 12 reps, Internal and External Shoulder Rotation through frontal plane (orange band, ea. arm) x 12 reps, Reverse Flies (purple band) x 12 reps, Bicep Curls (fitness rock) x 12 reps
Calories: 2540, Protein: 141 g.
Sat, December 5th
Morning Walk: 7.11 miles. (I was down 3.2 pounds for the week, so my total loss is 17.2 lbs. so far.)
* My husband went plant-based a little under year-and-a-half ago. I consequently also eat a lot of plant-based meals, though I remain a mostly plant-based omnivore.
** Technically, it was the second time. The first time was when I wanted to make sure they weren’t cracked or otherwise compromised, so I tried them out by knocking out a few push ups on the thrift store floor, much to the amusement of a lady and her daughter, who were further down the aisle looking at glassware.