I finished the next installment of my novel, Gabby the Bug-Eyed Monster. This finishes chapter one and I achieved two of my goals: finish the first chapter and also finish with that wretched cave. My first chapter was a bit over 5300 words, which means word count-wise I’m about 5% done.
The title of this section is Last Shot. I decided that each of the subsections is going to be no more than two words. I’m really only doing these chapter subsections because I’m doing this in an online format and need to break it up more than I would for a physical book.
Steady but slow progress. I’m looking forward to my schedule changing in October. One happy consequence of that is I’ll have more time for writing on a set schedule instead of carving out some time here and there when I can, which doesn’t work very well for me in terms of completing long-term projects.
I have a pretty good idea where I want to go for Chapter Two, which will get me through the next few weeks of writing and give me some time to think about structure and plot beyond what I already have. I have an idea for a sub-plot that I introduced the fleeting germ of at the end of the first chapter, and think I know where I more or less want to go by the end of the book though at this point that could still change.
Of course I can go back and fix structural problems and the like in a second draft at some point, but I would like to get as much right as I can on the first go.
The next section will go live on September 15, 2019.