I finished the next installment of my novel, Gabby the Bug-Eyed Monster. This finishes chapter one and I achieved two of my goals: finish the first chapter and also finish with that wretched cave. My first chapter was a bit over 5300 words, which means word count-wise I’m about 5% done.
The title of this section is Last Shot. I decided that each of the subsections is going to be no more than two words. I’m really only doing these chapter subsections because I’m doing this in an online format and need to break it up more than I would for a physical book.
Gabby by Stefan Ljumov
Steady but slow progress. I’m looking forward to my schedule changing in October. One happy consequence of that is I’ll have more time for writing on a set schedule instead of carving out some time here and there when I can, which doesn’t work very well for me in terms of completing long-term projects.
I have a pretty good idea where I want to go for Chapter Two, which will get me through the next few weeks of writing and give me some time to think about structure and plot beyond what I already have. I have an idea for a sub-plot that I introduced the fleeting germ of at the end of the first chapter, and think I know where I more or less want to go by the end of the book though at this point that could still change.
Of course I can go back and fix structural problems and the like in a second draft at some point, but I would like to get as much right as I can on the first go.
The next section will go live on September 15, 2019.
I thought it would be fun to have some drawings made for my novel that I’m working on, Gabby the Bug-Eyed Monster. The other day this depiction of my main character arrived in my inbox, complete with the eyes on the arms, just as I hoped!
Gabby the Bug Eyed Monster as drawn by the talented Stefan Ljumov
I have the rough draft of the next section already done and plan on tinkering with it a bit before going live on Wattpad this Sunday, September 8th. That will wrap up the first chapter. The working title for the section is (without apology to Henry James!) Turn of the Screw Last Shot.
I’ve also been thinking about where I want to go with the story through the first quarter of the book. That will be about 20,000 words or so, and since I’m already up to 4,000 that will happen fairly soon, even though it still seems like a lot to me. Especially if things work out with my schedule as I anticipate and I have more time for writing starting in October.
A friend suggested playing some sort of cooperative space platform defense board game. Hope to attend that soon. It’ll be nice seeing some friends, who I haven’t gotten together with for awhile now, and (of course) gaming.
“‘The Stars, Like Dust!’ Wait, I think that one’s taken.”
As the title suggests, I went back and did a little preface. I figure that since I’m sharing a story pretty much as I write it, then if I’m going to write such a thing in such a way I should get any introductory bits out of the way early in the game.
I’ve noticed that I’m developing a tendency to work backwards a bit, editing and correcting things as I go along. While it has been working so far it is early days yet and I think this could be a dangerous thing, when the story is longer, and could stall my first draft progress. So in the future I’m going to make notes somewhere about things I need to correct once I’m done. I’ve fallen into that trap before with other projects and avoiding said trap is one object of this pantsing experiment.
I plan on writing a final section to wrap up Chapter One for next time. While I’m doing that I hope to finalize in my own mind where I want to go with this for the first quarter of the story.