I finished assembling a bunch of models during April for Azazel’s April 2018 Assembly Challenge, and took a quick picture of what I did for the month from my terminally will-organize-it-eventually hobby room.
- Great Unclean One
- Warhounds of Chaos (10)
- Daemonettes (8)
- Raptors (3)
- Possessed (3)
- Space Marines: seven Dark Imperium Death Guard, and one of the green Easy to Build guys.
- The Changeling
- Darkoath Warqueen
- Poxwalkers (6)
I remembered that I put together a box of Easy-to-Build poxwalkers at the beginning of April. Actually I didn’t exactly remember. I found them squirreled away in a drawer where I store stuff I built so it doesn’t get dusty, when I was looking for neglected models for the May painting challenge. So a quick, over-exposed picture later and here they are in all of their green glory.
I didn’t do any custom work on most of the miniatures, though I did magnetize two of the three raptors, and gave them meltaguns as their first weapon choice. I traditionally tend to be weak in ranged anti-tank in my armies. Apparently my generals think that running up to tanks and such and whacking them to pieces with swords is a good idea.
I think jump infantry are excellent guys to give meltaguns because in the current state of the game it is likely they’ll get into position for at least one good shot. If not then these worthies will likely force my opponent in to a bubble wrapping or delayed deployment situation. Forcing your opponent to move in a certain way can be a small victory in itself!
As for the Great Unclean One, I decided to go with the sword and flail combination. I’ve fought against the bile blade and bell, and while I like the bell, I didn’t think the blade fit my style of play very well. The sword, while not exactly up to Bloodthirster standards of offense, still packs a pretty nice punch. Mainly though, I’ve found the utility of this particular greater daemon to be presenting another (extremely resilient) target, which often allows my other, more fragile units a bit more scope.
One strange thing that came up with the Great Unclean One was assembling the flail. I put the miniature together correctly, as far as I could tell, but the middle part was too long. The middle skull contacted the base in a way that would have made assembly not possible, at least not without some unwonted modifications.
The solution I came up with was to hack off the skull and replace it with the end of the bile blade, which I wasn’t planning on using anyway. I’m pleased with the result and think that it may add interest when painted.
The warqueen will make an admirable herald of Khorne for my 40K games. I have owned a half-painted resin herald of Khorne for a couple of years now, but I never much liked the model. On the other hand I like both of these models just fine.
For May I think I’m going to participate in Azazel’s Paint a Neglected Model Challenge. I don’t have quite the hobby time or energy, now that I’m working full time again, as I used to have, but I’m pretty sure I can complete at least one model this month. Given that the challenge is it has to be a model that one started at least six months ago and didn’t complete, it’ll be nice to finish one or more such models.
I also have a box of old Vampire Counts zombies, as well as another box of bloodletters, I want to assemble but I think I’ll wait until the next assembly challenge to tackle those.